Welcome to the G-8. Please bend over...
Monday, June 21, 2010
For those interested in G-8 security: It's tight.
Security detail added an hour to my commute this morning. I'm staying in Huntsville, Ontario which is normally about 15 mins from Deerhurst Resort where the G-8 Summit is being held.
But this morning it took an hour and 15 minutes.
All people entering Deerhurst are scanned individually, one-by-one. All bags are searched. In fact we have to get off the bus that takes us there as it's quicker to scan us individually than to search the whole bus every time it leaves and comes back. Once through the gates, we have to get on another "clean" bus to take us further into the resort.
In addition to that:
- 24 hour divers in the lake.
- Three or four helicopters circling overhead all day.
- Police boats patrol the lake and there are regular rounds by RCMP around the compound.
- Not to mention the many chainlink fences and security cameras.
- We're warned not to run anywhere as snipers will shoot at anyone running for whatever reason.
- We are not to wear our accreditation around town as we could be attacked by an over-zealous protester.
So is it safe to say I'll be working at one of the most secure places on the planet for the next week?